The Portuguese census, which happens every ten years, began on April 4th. This year, residents will receive a letter in the mail with a code and then be required to respond online. And when we say required, we mean it, with fines of up to 50,000 Euros for those who fail to respond.
Full information (in English) can be found on the census website here, but for some answer that you may be wondering bout as part of the Atlas community:
Can I answer the Portuguese census in another language?
I’m a foreigner, do I need to be listed as a resident in the dwelling?
Probably. The official site says:
- If, at the date of the census moment (April 19, 2020), you have lived in Portugal for more than 1 year or if your intention is to stay for a minimum period of one year.
- If, at the date of the census moment, you have lived in Portugal for less than 1 year and you intend to live here for less than 12 months.
- If residing in Portugal occurred after the census moment.
I live at a foreign Consulate / Embassy. Should I be registered on the Portuguese census?
Help me, I don’t know what I’m doing with the Portuguese census and don’t want a 50k fine.
You have at your disposal:
- Website: censos2021.ine.pt
- Telephone helpline: 210 54 20 21
- Your local Parish Council